Welcome to our Happiness Today, Not Tomorrow fortnightly offering for people who are brave and bold and ready to take skilful action each day to break free from “the trance of busy”.
Yes, that’s you.
You are reading this because you are ready.
This offering includes
- 1 new guided meditation (18 mins)
- 1 simple mindfulness practice (1 minute)
- 1 everyday jewel - an idea to transform an ordinary moment into a moment for happiness, fulfillment and wellbeing (1 minute)
These offerings act like a mini-retreat from your busy day, a way to quieten the external noise so you can see yourself and your life more clearly.
From here, you will feel inspired to take skilful action towards happiness and fulfilment and away from busyness and overwhelm.
Today’s Topic: The power of “giving up the fight”
The truth is, we spend most of our time trying to change ourselves, our relationships or our lives.
We spend our days striving
- to get more done (housework, tasks, jobs, exercise)
- to be better (more productive, capable, funny or fit)
- to have more of something (status, love, money, free time)
We try and change people we love.
Or we simply wish life was different to how it actually is.
Over time, living this way adds to our levels of stress, overwhelm and distraction.
All this striving, wishing, wanting, hoping, worrying, planning, it’s exhausting!
All this forward action contracts us, leaving us stressed, hyper alert and on edge.
We become like the homosapiens in the cave, on the look-out for the lion ready to pounce!
All of this takes us out of the peace and safety of the present moment.
But when we take skilful action and sit in the present moment just as it is, we can let down our guard, we can give up the fight, we can relax and enjoy ourselves.
It’s amazing, when we do this, the world opens up in beautiful ways. We experience more love, more connection, gratitude, creativity and confidence.
Today’s Meditation - Resting in Self Acceptance
During this meditation we shall explore the liberating idea that right now, you are free to accept yourself just as you are. Together, let's let go of the ideas and beliefs that stand between us and a life of greater self acceptance and freedom.
Today’s Mindfulness Practice - "Right Now, All is Well"
- Take a few deep intentional breaths
- Notice if there is anything that you are trying to change in this moment (perhaps an emotion, a relationship, maybe you are just hurrying the moment in preparation for the next thing on your list)
- Lengthen your exhale and let go, let go of tension across your eyes, your chest and your tummy
- Let go of the idea that right now need to be any different to how it actually is
- Repeat silently in your mind “right now, all is well”.
- Notice any feeling of lightness, softening or relief.
Rest here for a moment or two and let this moment land within your mind, body and heart.
Today's Everyday Jewel
The next time you notice yourself trying to do more, or be more, can you pause, take a deep breath and whisper in your mind
“Right here, right now, is exactly where I am meant to be. Accepting my myself and my life is a brave and powerful move”.
If you have a friend or family member who would like these happiness practices, please forward this BLOG onto them. They can sign up here.
Time is precious, and I am grateful that you chose to spend this time with me.
With gratitude and warmth,